As the name suggests, the subconscious is any part of our mind that is not completely conscious. Any part of the mind that is not in current awareness is termed as subconscious mind. The subconscious mind is one of the most authoritative inner forces which drives the human behaviour.
Why is it powerful?
The answer can be explained with citing a small example that everyone among us has experienced in vastly varying ways. All of us have tried learning a new skill in life, be it singing, painting, dancing and what not. In most cases, early attempts to synchronise a completely new set of complexities is tough but slowly and gradually such activities demand a comparatively lower level of consciousness and everything starts happening naturally. These activities are guided by our subconscious mind and this shows how powerful a force it is.
“Whatever we plant in our subconscious mind and nourish with repetition and emotion will one day become a reality.”
WORKING OF THE SUBCONSCIOUS MIND
The subconscious mind plays a very significant role in shaping your behaviour, designing your personality and in other words affects your entire life. Many people overlook its importance and fail to gather ideas about how subconscious mind works or what are mechanisms governing its operation. In order to understand the functioning of the subconscious mind, one should consider it as a part of his or her mind that contains information that he or she is not consciously aware of.
The subconscious mind is just like a big memory tank which hoards your beliefs, memories, grieves and life experiences. It is this information stored in your subconscious mind that repeatedly affects your behaviour and actions in widely varying ways. An example would help you understand the working of the subconscious mind in a better way. If in case you lack self-confidence because of having certain beliefs about yourself that are stored in your subconscious mind, then you are ought to feel anxious around unfamiliar people. In this case, the reason behind your feeling anxious is that your subconscious mind contained some false information that made you believe that you were in danger but as a matter of fact you weren’t.
One of the very spellbinding facts about the working of the subconscious mind is that it not only affects your behaviour but also affects your perception of events. In case you find two people smiling at you then you might perceive it as if they are making fun of you. So to conclude, subconscious mind works on the rule, ‘you get what you focus on’.
TECHNIQUES TO TRAIN YOUR SUBCONSCIOUS MIND
The subconscious mind is that part of the brain that is active 24x7 but we do not make enough efforts to develop it. Development of subconscious mind can do wonders to the person who considers it worthwhile. So do practice the following techniques to train your subconscious mind.
- Problem Solving – The first step in the process of the training one's subconscious mind is to solve problems. This is a very basic and logical attempt to improve a person’s analytical skills. Whenever you are confronted with a problem that you’re conscious mind cannot figure out, always let your subconscious mind assume the responsibility of getting the way out of the problem. What you are actually required to do in this regard is to install the thought that your subconscious mind has to get a solution to the problem and then get back to your normal routine. Eventually what will happen is that a solution will click your mind and the time involved in this can vary from person to person. This is how your subconscious mind develops to help you understanding and solving problems better.
- Meditation– Meditation holds a key role in reference to training your subconscious mind. Meditation helps an individual to attain the required level of mental focus and concentration so as to help him gain cognitive power. Along with this meditation also helps you to enjoy the present while planning for the future.
- Visualization– Repeated visualizations of your own imaginations are extremely important with respect to training your subconscious mind. Inculcate the habit of setting exciting goals and also remember to have the passion for such dreams. Think of the end result at least three days a week. A consequence of practising this technique will be that your mind will ultimately accept the visualizations as a part of reality and you would be more determined to achieve your exciting goals.
BENEFITS OF TRAINING YOUR SUBCONSCIOUS MIND
Geniuses are not those who use their minds while they are conscious but those who are using it while in a state of unconsciousness. Your subconscious mind processes 100 billion bits of information per second whereas the conscious mind processes 40 bits of information per second. So training such a heavily burdened workplace is a skill one needs time to master. But if a person who is dedicated enough to practising the above-mentioned techniques of training his subconscious mind, then he should be ready to reap the following benefits.
- Enhanced trust and belief in relationships
- Improved health and well being
- Exorbitant levels of creativity
- Makes people able enough to eclipse limiting beliefs
- Creates a sense of happiness and purpose of life
- Provides a sense of control and happiness
Understanding subconscious mind as a part of the brain is highly beneficial as it is something that is working even if we are not conscious. We talked about the functioning of the subconscious mind above in the article and later concluded that it works upon the rule that ‘you get what you focus on’. Later we discussed the various techniques to train your subconscious mind which was problem-solving, meditation and visualizing.
In the final stage of the article, we discussed the various benefits that can be derived from a well trained subconscious mind. All these aspects of subconscious mind bring us to a conclusion as to why psychologists are so enthusiastic about researching this special part of our brain.